Music for Flute
by Pamela J. Marshall – that’s me. Several of these pieces are included on my album Through the Mist on Ravello Records.
- Communing with Birds – inspired by my Costa Rica birding trip
(recorded on Through the Mist album, performed by Susan Jackson)
- High Flight – for flute – musical expression of the joys of flying a small airplane in the early days of flight, after the poem by John Gillespie Magee (Poetry-Inspired collection)
- Whisper Solos – for flute, or clarinet, or saxophone – variations on a 30-second theme that was originally meant to be played in a glass-walled elevator, hence the whisper dynamic
- Examinate Variations – flute and cello – angular, jazzy, happily abstract
(recorded on Through the Mist album; performed by the Addington–Barringer Duo)
- Mirror of Diana: float into the quiet skies & melt into the flux – flute and percussion – free-association interpretation of two evocative lines in the poem by Victorian poet Mathilde Blind (Poetry-Inspired collection)
- Through the Mist – flute, violin, harp or guitar – reflections on being at a beautiful New Hampshire lake: Ashuelot Dawn, Rocky Shore, Nocturne (recorded on Through the Mist album, performed by Lexington Symphony Chamber Players)
I’ve made a version with viola too; it’s not in the catalog yet, so please ask me about it.
- Zoa – flute, harp – imagined music of elemental creatures (recorded on Through the Mist album, performed by Duo “2”)
- Elements: Water Always Flows – woodwind quintet – available now; ask me about it. There will be additional movements – a revision and elaboration of four short pieces from 2003.
On each catalog page, there’s a downloadable PDF to preview the score, and some have links to audio recordings.